Sunday, September 30, 2012

Full Moon ride, September 29th 2012

The Friends of Madison County had a series of full moon rides this year from the London trailhead.  Link - 2012-FullMoonRide


I finally remembered to go!  That the ride was on a Saturday made things easier, and Jennifer went with me.  Toni Hartley went as well, and we were joined by Jeff Haven in London.

Everything came together for the ride - is was Saturday, the weather was clear, the moon was rising early, the weather chilly but tolerable.  

Mike Michael greeted us when we pulled in (a plug for Mike's business, The London Coffee Peddler) - london coffee peddler   

Mike is a COP and AYH member from a long time back.  The ride is a social event, just show up and go.  Mike will ride sweep each way to ensure everyone who started also finished.   The 20 mile ride (10 each way) takes a break at The Purple Money pizza and ice creak shop in South Charleston.   


The ride started promptly at 7pm, but I would guess the last person did not leave the parking lot until 7:20pm.  

The trail from London to SC is flat and straight, with just few stretches shaded by trees.  This is perfect for a night ride!  We started out just as the sun was setting, and had a beautiful sunset to guide us - the painted sky stayed with us for about 7 miles, then we finished the ride into South Charleston in full darkness.  The rising moon had cast my shadow ahead of me as I rode into the town.  

We spent about 45 minutes in The Purple Monkey, have a light dinner (except for Jeff, he had a deluxe calzone about the same size as his head!).

Jennifer and Keith at The Purple Monkey.  I was actually having a good time!
The ride back to London was - magical.  Jeff was just far enough ahead of me so that his red tailight just in view.  Tony and Jennifer were just far enough behind for their white light to be visible in my mirror.

I ghosted along in moonlight, quick and silent.  I am not poet enough to give the feeling justice, but that is one of the most enriching bike rides I have ever done.  

All too soon, I was back in London.  I glided back to my car, and began loading up. We were all grateful for the car heater on the ride back to Columbus.   

I hope to go on the last ride of the year on October 29th!.    

1 comment: