Monday, September 3, 2012

Was there a 3rd choice?


Was There A 3rd Choice?
By Keith Finn
Jennifer (the keeper of my heart) is a leader of a Girl Scout
troop. The scout troop decided one day that caving sounded
like something they ought to try. I am an occasional caver,
so Jennifer asked if I could take the troop caving. Ay yi yi!
I managed to deflect my role to that of assistant cave guide,
since I was able to convince Jennifer that Dave Seslar would
be a much better choice to lead the expedition. Dave is a
much better choice for cave guide, but he chose a cave
where much of the system has the same cross-section as
my torso. We were going to Jarvie Rourke cave in Kentucky.
For reasons I never have been able to understand, I cannot
find my way around Jarvie Rourke with any reliability. I
don’t get lost in the classic sense; I just don’t know where
I am! I can always find my way back; I just can’t follow the
cave map to a goal.
At the cave entrance we split into 2 groups. I had 1 adult
and 4 GS; Dave had 2 adults and 4 GS. The scouts had to
choose the leader they wanted to cave with: Column A - Go
with Dave and get stuck but not lost (Dave is 6’2” and 140
lbs - he can fit through a 7.5” gap) Column B - Go with Keith
and get lost but not stuck (Keith is 5’10” and 330 lbs - he
MAKES his own gaps!) After some hemming and hawing, they
asked if there was a 3rd choice! Whadda bunch of babies!
Anyway, off we went with our victims, er...scouts. Dave’s
group took the high road, and I took the low road. We
tromped along a stream passage for a while, clambered
over some rimstone dams, straddle walked a crevice in the
floor, then settled down for some crawling. I had chosen a
destination on the map, and we had 200 feet or so of crawling
to reach it. It wasn’t bad, hands and knees in single file,
but after a while it seemed like we had crawled longer
than we should have. When we came to a wide spot, I would
have everone examine the map, agree that we seemed on
course (consensus is good when trying to explain things to
a search party). After two more consensus building sessions,
I decided that once again, I was lost. I think I was in
a passage named “Endless Crawl”, and it was aptly named. I
decided to backtrack, climb a level and look for Eagle Pit.
After backtracking, climbing and wandering around (in which
the scouts had a great time investigating diverse nooks
and crannies), I ran into Dave and his group. Much to my
chagrin, he told me I was nowhere near Eagle Pit - I was in
the Registration Room. But my group didn’t feel so bad
about being lost after the horror tales of where Dave made
his group go! Once I was oriented, we made a quick exit (I
can always find my way out) and waited for the others to
catch up. All in all, the scouts found it a worthwhile excursion.
They even let me take them caving again - as long as it
wasn’t back to Jarvie Rourke!

No comments:

Post a Comment